What is Ventolin?
Ventolin is an asthma relief drug developed by the GlaxoSmithKline laboratory and prescribed for people with symptoms of asthma, including breathing problems. Ventolin also helps prevent asthma attacks. These consist of the gradual or sudden onset of difficulty in breathing, coughing and wheezing.
- Quickly relieves seizures
- Available in multiple shapes
- Also acts as a preventive treatment
This medicine is available in different forms: inhaler, respiratory solution and syrup. The choice is made depending on which method you prefer and the severity of your symptoms. For example, some users find it difficult to use the inhaler and prefer the syrup; whereas patients suffering from severe symptoms and who require administration of a large dosage, will prefer the respiratory solution.
What is asthma?
In France, more than 3 million people suffer from asthma. Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects your ability to breathe. Asthma is often triggered by a combination of environmental and hereditary factors. Symptoms of the disease, including an inflammatory reaction, appear when the immune system comes into contact with external irritants. Dust, particles in the air, smoke, exercise, an allergy or a chemical can cause this reaction.
Asthma symptoms appear when the airways in your lungs begin to swell and narrow. These symptoms vary and can be almost unnoticeable, severe, or even fatal.
It is important to note that asthma symptoms can vary from non-existent to severe in the same person. It is possible to go symptom-free for a long time and then have periodic asthma attacks. It is also possible to have asthma symptoms every day, only at night or after exercise.
How are asthma symptoms triggered?
Contact with these irritants leads to the release by the immune system of chemical transmitters, which in addition to causing inflammation, tighten the muscular walls around the trachea and those which connect the airways between them. Finally, these transmitters increase the production of mucus, which increases the sensation of respiratory discomfort.
The following symptoms can occur, whether they are the first symptoms of asthma or chronic asthma:
A persistent cough is a common symptom of asthma. The cough may be dry or wet (containing mucus). It can get worse at night or after exercise. A chronic dry cough without other asthma symptoms can be an asthma symptom varying from cough.
It can be difficult to breathe because the airways are inflamed and narrowed. Mucus can clog the narrowed airways and make them more congested.
Wheezing is a hissing sound that usually occurs when you breathe out. It results from the expulsion of air through the narrow and constricted airways. Wheezing is a recognizable symptom of asthma.
Note: this list is not exhaustive. Other symptoms can be linked to asthma attacks.
What are the treatments for asthma?
There are two types of asthma treatment. Some have a preventive function, while others aim to relieve the symptoms of the disease. Preventive drugs work by reducing the immune system’s response to external irritants, making it less likely that a seizure will occur. Relieving drugs, on the other hand, help relieve symptoms when they have already occurred.
How does Ventolin work?
They all contain a substance called a beta-2 agonist, which in the case of Ventolin is called salbutamol, and which helps relax muscle walls affected by respiratory inflammation.
Renewing your asthma treatment online should not be a complication. All our orders are delivered directly to your home. A qualified doctor will verify your answers, and once authorized, your order will be prepared and delivered by our pharmacy. Our orders are sent by parcel 24 hours, so you can start processing immediately.
Follow the instructions given by your doctor, which will increase the effectiveness of your treatment.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions
- Ventolin is prescribed to relieve asthma symptoms such as difficulty breathing, coughing problems, wheezing, or any other symptom of an asthma attack.
- Take an inhalation to relieve asthma symptoms
- To prevent the onset of a seizure, take an inhalation 15 minutes before coming into contact with a triggering element
- Remove the outer protection
- Push the lever back until you hear a click
- Breathe in and then insert the inhaler into your mouth
- Inhale deeply through the device
- Try to hold your breath for 10 seconds
- Breathe normally
- Do not take more than four inhalations per day or more than the dosage prescribed by your doctor
- The regularly prescribed dosage is: one to two puffs to relieve symptoms; in some cases the patient may inhale one two puffs fifteen minutes before the suspected onset of symptoms
- In regular treatment, the prescribed dose can be a maximum of two puffs, to be inhaled 4 times a day
- Do not inhale more than 8 puffs in 24 hours
- Try the inhaler by spraying a test dose into the air before first use
- Stand straight during use
- Remove the protection from the mouthpiece and make sure there is no debris
- Exhale as much as possible
- Without biting the mouthpiece, position it between your teeth and surrounded by your lips
- Inhale while pressing the cartridge to release the dose
- Continue to breathe regularly, then hold your breath for a few seconds, before breathing normally again
- If you inhale a second puff, wait 30 seconds between the first and second puff
- For more information, please consult the patient leaflet
For all treatments:
- Never exceed the prescribed dose
- Read the instructions carefully before using the treatment
These usage tips are provided for informational purposes only. For detailed information, refer to the medical leaflet.
There are a number of potential effects associated with Ventolin which are important to know before starting treatment. If you notice any side effects, signs of an allergic reaction or worsening of your asthma, contact your doctor immediately.
Common (1 in 10 people or less):
Uncommon (1 in 100 people or less):
Irritation of the mouth or throat, muscle cramps.
Exceptional (1 in 1,000 people or less):
Decreased level of potassium in the blood, increased blood flow to extremities of the body.
Very exceptional (1 in 10,000 people or less):
Irregular sleep or behavior problems, such as restlessness or excitability.
The list of these side effects is not exhaustive. A detailed list is available in the patient leaflet for your treatment.
Interaction with other treatments
During your medical consultation, tell your doctor if you are currently taking any other medicines which may interfere with Ventolin, or vice versa. Ventolin can affect the activity of beta-blockers, corticosteroids and diuretics.
Precautions for use
It is essential to tell your doctor if you have suffered or are currently suffering from the following diseases: high blood pressure, diabetes, overactive thyroid gland, heart problems such as angina for example.
Can I drink alcohol?
Yes, the effectiveness of the treatment is not affected by alcohol consumption.
Can I drive?
Yes, you can drive. However, if you notice any side effects that may affect your judgment or coordination, do not drive and see a doctor.
Can I take Ventolin if I am pregnant?
This treatment cannot be prescribed if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Before starting treatment, contact your doctor.
Am I allergic to Ventolin?
The Ventolin inhaler contains salbutamol sulfate and lactose.
The ingredients of the respiratory solution are salbutamol sulfate, water, benzalkonium chloride, and sulfuric acid.
Ventolin syrup contains salbutamol sulphate, water, sodium citrate, citric acid, hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, sodium saccharin, salt (sodium chloride), sodium benzoate (E211 ) and orange flavor.
Do not use these treatments if you are allergic to any of these ingredients.
Is Ventolin available over the counter?
Ventolin is only available on medical prescription. The requirement of a medical prescription allows the doctor to check your condition before prescribing the medicine to you.
Is this the right medicine for me?
Depending on your symptoms, your general practitioner or specialist will prescribe a treatment adapted to your medical profile.
If you are already taking Ventolin, you can refill your prescription through our online pharmacy. Each order placed on our website is checked by one of our qualified doctors, in order to ensure that the treatment is without risk to the health of our patients. After writing the medical prescription, it is then sent to our pharmacy, based in the United Kingdom, which prepares the order.