Piercing is a really an old fun the mankind has invented. But what for? Well there are various reasons and the aims the piercing is intended to provide. It is a sign distinguishing the people of different social classes; it is also a kind of body decoration and so on. Read the article below to find out more details about this fun.
About 5 thousands years ago the daughters of the Pharaohs of the Ancient Egypt had their belly-button pierced and wore golden piers with gems inlaid. The same procedure was applied to the queen pets – cats. The holy beasts were pierced into their ear. And this was a sign of esteem and reverence for these animals. Egyptians considered the piercing as the ornamentals for those selected ones. And when the greatness of the Egypt turned downwards all slaves and commoners purchased the rings that were forbidden for them previously.
The nipple was pierced in the Ancient Rome for the first time. The bravest warriors had their nipples pierced and this was the proof of their courage and senselessness to the pain.
And the nose piercing origins from the India. The pierced nose was a sign of the married women there. Some cultures put a ring on the finger when the other put it into the nose. Well, there is no surprise as this is the cultural differences. By the way some Indian males had their tongue pierced as a sign that they will keep silence forever.
The piercing becomes popular among the European aristocrats in the XVI-XVII centuries. The French were the first ones in this field. The popular hobby reached the top of the dissoluted high society. For instance Henry the III had several ear-rings in his right ear. Thus it is quite clear that the court circle tried to look like he did and therefore they also wore ear-rings. Some time later the genitals became a new object for the piercing. This was an entertainment for real aristocrats as the rest of the people simply had no free time enough.
What and where the piercing should be inserted?
This is the individual task for everyone. There are no clear recommendations concerning this problem. Furthermore there are no hidden senses in the way of the piercing wearing (the matter is that once the ear-ring in the left ear was considered as a sign that the owner uses drugs, and pierced right ear was considered as a sigh of the untraditional sexual orientation).
Today the functions of the piercing are as follows: ornamentals, erotic function and several others. The most popular parts of the body that are pierced are:
- ears (ear piercing jewelry, rings)
- belly button (navel piercing jewelry, rings, belly button rings?)
- eyebrows (eyebrow piercing jewelry),
- nose wings (nose piercing jewelry)
- nipples (nipple-piercing jewelry, rings)
- genitals (male penis piercing or female clit piercing)
- lips (lip piercing jewelry, rings, labret)
When the piercing should not be done?
- In case of certain chronic disease aggravation (gastritis, stomach ulcer, pancreatitis, colitis, highmoritis, rheumatism).
- In case of system (lupus, system sclerodermia, etc) as well as dermal diseases (psoriasis and etc).
- In case of increased body temperature.
- In case of bad blood coagulability.
- In case of B, C hepatitis.
- In case of diabetes.
- In case of allergic reaction to the lidocain group drugs (used in the anesthesia throughout pricking) or certain metals.
- The procedure should not be done in case person suffers from epilepsy and other mental disorders as the risk of the attack is quite high.
- This also relates to those people experienced craniocerebral traumas.
- Piercing should not be done in women throughout menstruation or pregnancy periods.
- You should renounce such type of the ornamentals in case you got celloid scars appeared due to serious cut and traumas healing.
Why the piercing-guns are prohibited?
Professional piercers associations from US, Europe and Russia are flatly against the use of multiple applications of the piercing-guns that cannot be sterilized for any type of the puncturing!
- Piercing-guns are impossible to autoclave (sterilize) and the certain type of the ornamentals cause injuries leading to ragged wounds and rejections.
- Furthermore these ornamentals contain nickel and aluminium alloys that exceed the European Nickel Directive norms in 10-100 times.
- Piercing-guns contact with the skin of the person and blood microparticles of the previous clients thus causing direct transmission of the HIV and hepatitis B and C viruses.
What ornamentals will be suitable for my piercing?
There are two types of the piercing: the primary and secondary (healed) one. Use the ornamentals made of titanium, plastics, niobium or Teflon for the primary piercing with the aim to provide sooner healing.
As for the secondary piercing (the healed puncturing) the use of the ornamentals made of the surgical steel 316/LVM is quite possible.
Never use widely used surgical steel. The ornamentals made of the steel or gold are allowed to wear only after the complete healing of the wound. And the silver should not be used nor in primary neither in secondary type of the piercing. Consider also the fact that in case you used to wear only gold rings, bracelets, chains then you should choose the ornamentals made of the same material for your piercing as well. The matter is that your body may reject another materials and grudge in the form of allergic reaction.
What kind of the care you should take?
There is no secret that the piercing should be treated correctly. To provide appropriate treatment you will need good antiseptic.
Wipe the puncture in the morning and in the evening.
Never drill the ornamentals!
Why? The healing process restarts after each drill you made. Furthermore it is accompanied with the inflammation process
What should you renounce from?
You’d better renounce sauna, solarium, pool or sea swimming. Avoid taking any blood dissolvent drugs like aspirin within first couple of days. It is better to take a good vitamin complex as you will surely need Vitamin C and zinc.
What punctures are easier to heal?
Those made in the earlap or auricle. The problems are quite seldom in this case and the most popular trouble is development of the infiltrations that are called granulemas.
What care is required in case of the belly-button piercing?
It is better to wear compresses 24 hours a day within first week and replace them at every ablution. This will not provide serious troubles and the wound will heal faster and painlessly. Quite soon you’ll be able to wear open swimsuit at the beach.
You may increase the functionality of the punctured belly-button by inserting a ring with the spring into it. Thus you’ll be able to hang various small things onto this ring and they will also be with you. For instance you may hang a key from the check-room in the supermarket or the key from you postbox – it is quite small and you will never forget to check you mail.
What should be the care for the tongue or lips piercing?
Use any of the various mouth rinsing solutions. They will ease the pain and prevent any infections development. You may use the period of the puncture healing for the full and start a diet. The matter is that spicy, salty, fatty foods, coffee and alcohol will be contraindicated to you anyway.
But the messes, fruits and lactic-acid foods are health-giving ones. By the way, another contraindication is smoking.
You don’t want to wear it anymore?
In case the ornamental became annoying for you after a certain period of time you may take it out as many time as you wish after the wound will heal. The hole will disappear after some time and only small, almost invisible scar will remain.
When it is possible to change you ornamentals?
The main rule – the ornamental may be replaced only after the complete healing of the wound and not when the piercing ceases to bother you and seems to appear quite good.
Don’t forget that every body has its own period of the piercing healing. The approximate time required to heal your piercing is as follows:
- face piercing – 1-2 weeks;
- nipples piercing – 3-6 weeks;
- belly-button piercing – 1-6 months;
- Prince Albert – 1-2 months;
- Vertical clitoris piercing – 1-2 months;
- Horizontal clitoris piercing – 2-3 months;
- Vulvar lips piercing – 2-3 weeks.
The time required to heal the puncture is up to you and your care.
But the beauty requires certain price to pay. Especially when we consider that all discomfort will be indemned for with the interest by the impression made.