What is Mercilon?
Mercilon is a low dosage oral contraceptive that overrides the menstrual cycle to prevent pregnancy. It is also a monophasic pill, meaning that it contains the synthetic hormones desogestrel 0.15mg and ethinylestradiol 20mg which provide a steady stream of hormones that mimic the body’s hormonal transitions through the menstrual cycle. For full contraceptive cover, it is best to start taking this contraceptive on the first day of your menstrual cycle.
How does Mercilon work?
The majority of oral contraceptive pills use the same three mechanisms to protect against pregnancy. The Mercilon pill is no different, which is the reason why the pill is so effective, as it provides more than one way to prevent pregnancy. The daily dose of hormones in this combined contraceptive pill works mainly by tricking your body into thinking that ovulation has already happened. The treatment essentially prevents an egg from ripening and being released from the ovaries each month, therefore there is nothing for the sperm to fertilise. It also thins the lining of the uterus, making it harder for an egg to implant itself and grow. This contraceptive pill will not work if you are already pregnant.
Mercilon pill provides other beneficial qualities apart from pregnancy prevention, these may include:
- Reduced weight gain
- Less period pain
- Improvement of acne
- Can help in treating hirsutism
- Approximately 99% effective when used correctly
Who can use Mercilon?
The Mercilon hormonal contraceptive pill is suitable for us by:
- Women between the ages of 18 and 35,
- Women who are sexually active and seeking an effective contraceptive method
- Women looking for contraceptive method containing a lower dosage of oestrogen
Please ensure that you fill in the online consultation correctly, also stating if you are currently taking any medication, as it will help the doctor understand whether the combination of the treatments are suitable, or whether you would need to stop taking either.
Who cannot use it?
Precautions should be taken before choosing to use the Mercilon pill, it is not deemed suitable for:
- Those with allergies to ethinylestradiol or desogestrel
- Women that are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Women with severe diabetes
- Women over the age of 35, smokers, and those of which suffer from blood clotting
- Women that have migraines or severe headaches
When you buy the Mercilon pill, it is advised that you read the provided patient leaflet before using it. Standard usage procedures include for you to:
- Follow the marked day pattern on the pack
- Take the pills daily for 21 days with a 7 day break in which you would still be protected
- Start on the first day of the menstrual cycle for immediate protection
At the very latest, you can start taking the Mercilon pill up to day five of your menstrual cycle without needing to use additional contraception when you start. However, starting as late as the fifth day of your cycle may prove ineffective for certain women with short menstrual cycles, and an added protective barrier such as a condom may be required for up to seven days.
I forgot to take my pill
You should not worry if you forgot to take your Mercilon pill. As soon as you remember make sure you take it and carry on your daily usage as normal. If it is more than 24 hours before you remember, do not take two pills to compensate for the previously forgotten dose. Carry on your standard daily use as normal, but ensure you also use an added contraceptive barrier such as a condom for 7 days, till you are covered again by the contraceptive pill. Ensure you read the product leaflet for more advice on forgetting to use your pill.
Side Effects of Mercilon
As with most hormonal oral contraceptives, minor side effects are common and to be expected. In most cases, they will not be a major cause for concern. These include:
- Altered body weight
- Nausea or vomiting
- Breast tenderness or swelling
- Altered libido
- Behavioural changes such as mood swings
- Reduced or absent menstrual flow
If the side effects become bothersome or start to worsen, then contact your doctor immediately for further advice and a possible alternative.
Can I buy Mercilon online without prescription?
When you order your Mercilon contraceptive pill pack from Meds4all you receive the following benefits:
- Genuine branded medication
- Discreet, easy to follow consultation
- Registered doctor to provide your prescription
- Independent UK pharmacy that dispatches your order
- Discreet next day delivery service
If you have any further questions about the order process, then please do not hesitate to contact one of our patient advisors on the ‘Live Chat’ link or call us.