Scientists are always inform us with news – caries vaccination; electrotray for enamel strengthening, certain genemodfied bacterium to “hunt” for caries “monsters”. Unfortunately all these useful inventions exist only in experiment labs. Thus while we are waiting for a miracle we’d better remember caries protection methods approved by the time.
Method 1. Teeth cleaning
Widespread idea of caries treatment – “to drill and fill it” – is actually correct though it is too simplified.
The caries caused by Streptococcus mutans bacterium that reside in our mouth and eat micro pieces of carbohydrate food that stick to our teeth. To deprive them of the food it is quite sufficient to clean teeth twice a day (after the morning breakfast and before going to bed in the evening) and the best way to clean teeth after every food intake.
For ideal mouth hygiene the “right” tooth-brush is the one:
– with artificial bristle of medium harshness;
– with short (not longer then 3 cm) rounded cleaning head;
– bun of its fringes should not scratch.
Sodium lauric sulphate that provides rich foam is contained in all popular toothpastes and has one quite unpleasant feature. Regular usage harms the mucous coat of the mouth.
Electric toothbrush is also good thing. First of all it buzzes and moves making the cleaning process a real fun. 3-5 minutes, the time recommended by dentist to clean teeth expires insensibly. And secondly electric brush removes teeth fur better than the common one.
The “right” toothpaste should:
– clean teeth well so it should contain chalk, dicalcium phosphate, sodium metaphosphate, aluminum hydrate or silicon dioxide;
– strengthen enamel with the fluorine (inorganic or inorganic salts, fluoristat system);
– kill microbes with triclosane, chlorhexidine, special ferments and so on.
Method 2. Don’t clean teeth
In case there is too much fluorine in your body – be careful. Such trouble as allergy, arthritis, thyroid gland diseases, nervous disorder, teeth and bones fragility threaten you.
For instance, my friend Ms. N has never used a toothbrush in her life but she doesn’t suffer from caries as well as her mother and grandmother. This is their inherent feature. Ms. N says she has healthy teeth thus she doesn’t harm the enamel with toothpastes and brushes. However I think the matter is that all of them like meat and don’t eat desserts. Predators and gunzu tribe representatives from the south Pamirs also have strong, white teeth without caries.
Method 3. Don’t eat and drink any old thing
Bacteria residing in our mouth like dessert very much. Thus for caries prophylaxis you should refrain from sugar and other sources of “sweet” carbohydrates. Don’t forget about different sprites, pepsi drinks as well as concentrated juices. According to the latest researches of western scientists – all of them contribute to the caries development. Sour apples aren’t useful as well because they misbalance mouth pH.
The list of allowed products is: cheese, milk and cottage cheese, meat, sea fish, beans, beet, cabbage as well as laminaria, onion, oats, gooseberries and black currant. They contain optimal number of anticaries microelements. Hard food like raw carrot is also very useful. It contributes to teeth self-cleaning without any toothpastes and brushes.
Method 4. Cover teeth with anticaries solution
The most popular mixtures are used mainly in child stomatology. They cover teeth with thin membrane and fill the enamel and dentine with fluorine ions.
The procedure looks like as follows. Firstly teeth are cleaned of inveterate fur with circular brushes and abrasive compound and then they are got dried. After this a thin layer of fluoridizer is put on teeth. It is forbidden to eat hard foods and clean teeth for 24 hour after the procedure with the aim not to remove the layer previously. This procedure should be done once in 6 month for caries prophylaxis. Caries treatment requires 1-2 such procedures a week. The whole treatment course is 4 applications.
Method 5. Chewing horseradish
However it should be not the usual one and Japanese – wasabi. This is common relish to the sushi, rolls and other eastern exotic things. This plant is quite easy to find in sushi-bars and special shops providing Japanese food.
Quite recently Japanese scientists revealed that wasabi prevents the growth of the caries microorganism (Streptococcus mutans) colonies. And the single bacterium will not harm your organism. They can only acidate your saliva.
Method 6. Kiss more often
People say that kissing after food intakes is equally useful as chewing gum. Firstly, kisses stimulate salivation and thus contribute to the balanced acid-base proportion in the mouth. Secondly, kisses massage gums – thus decreasing the risk of periodontosis. And thirdly, those people that kiss often commonly take care about their teeth and prevent caries.
Method 7. Chewing gums, “rinsers”, drops, threads, brushes and toothpicks and … dentist
– Useful chewing gums without sugar advertised at the TV can really help to clean teeth of stuck pieces of food after the meal. Disadvantage is that they can also extract tooth filling as well.
– Tooth elixir that should be dissolved with the water have only dewy action (improve breathe), and anticaries effect is only provided by mouth rinsers. Disadvantage is their cost.
– Threads, brushes and toothpicks help only to clean interdental spaces, the narrow one with the thread, the wide one – with the brush and the coiled one – with the toothpick. No disadvantages.
– It is recommended to visit dentist once in six month even in case you have no worries. Disadvantages – not only children are afraid of dentists.